My Gramma Thinks I'm Crazy... !!

8:04 PM Posted In Edit This 8 Comments »
I was on the phone with my Gramma the other night. She mentioned that she keeps up with the blog and then said that she had something to tell me. She thinks we're crazy for even THINKING about cloth diapers. She said that she would have given anything for the option of disposables when she was diapering her kids. She remembers when someone got her a gift of a diaper service for one month after my Uncle Paul was born--She said it was the GREATEST gift ever!! She has even discussed this with her friends and they agree! She asked if we realized how gross it is to have to wash dirty diapers out in the toilet. Gramma also said that the day that you think you have enough diapers to last through the day is the day YOU WILL RUN OUT!!

It is true. The thought of cloth diapers is the thought of a generation who has always had access to disposables... a generation who has time to be concerned about the environment... a generation where every family has its own washing machine and dryer...


TO CLOTH OR DISPOSE??? THAT IS THE QUESTION!!

8 comments:

Tiffany Rose said...

you know, I think I've heard my mom say that as well. She said that cloth were cheaper and we HAD to do it that way. If she had a choice she'd never use cloth diapers. Good for you, for giving it a try! :)

Anonymous said...

We did cloth but mainly for home only. Someone had given us a couple dozen - they just couldn't do it. It worked well for us, we had disposable for babysitters and travel,etc. We were able to find what they advertised as biodegradeable for disposible. We did it and survived. It was a days job to wash but he sure was soft and cuddly without the sound of crinkling plastic.....and tomorrow he'll graduate from High School.

*K* said...

tish--glad to hear the cloth diapers were successful! congrats on the graduation. i am in town for mother's day. maybe we will run into each other?

Anonymous said...

hey we did and it didn't hurt - the running into that is. do you remember Brooke Bennet? here's her blogsite - www.brookeray.blogspot.com
they are going to get their baby in a couple weeks.

Brooke said...

I have thought about this too, especially with the one's out there you showed on your pics. I think we are going to start out with all disposable (there are apparently a lot of kids cominghome with giardia which = really gross diapers) so I want to be sure its all contained. But I'd like to try it once we're in a routine! Gross comment sorry! P.S. We are leaving June 6! I can't wait for you to go too!

Mama Papaya said...

Another successful cloth family here. Pocket diapers like the Bum Genius ones you have pictured are so easy that even the most reluctant folks figure them out and admit they are pretty cool. I don't find the laundry overwhelming at all. I love that you can double up for extra absorbancy and my daughter's bum has been rash free since we started using them. :) Good luck on all fronts.

*K* said...

CONGRATS BROOKE!

Mama Papaya-- baby papaya looks wonderful. i am glad to hear that cloth diapers are working well for you guys. any tips on what to think about having around (quantity, brand, etc...)? Did you do disposable at first, until you knew all possible bugs were out of baby's system?

Steven Baird said...

I ran across this site that lists several reasons to use cloth diapers. You might find it interesting.

http://thepanelist.com/Opinions/Opinions/Top_Five_Reasons_to_Use_Cloth_Diapers_20070514324/