**The Adams Family**

8:44 PM Edit This 6 Comments »
Over the past week, my parents and brothers came for a visit. In celebration of Justin's birthday, we went to our local Ethiopian restaurant. (Yes, we have a local Ethiopian restaurant. That is one of the beauties of living in such a diverse area!) Justin and I have eaten Ethiopian many times before. My mom has tried it once. However, the bros and dad hadn't ever given it a go. Dad was a bit leery, but J and I ordered for all! And... THEY LIKED IT! You can see various things on the plates in the pictures including chicken (on the bone, stewed in a yummy sauce), sweet potatoes and regular potatoes (the orange and yellow lumps), collard greens (Ethiopian style), lentils, split peas, as well as beef and lamb dishes. The folded up napkin looking things on the sides of the plate are Ethiopian bread called injera. Injera is a spongy sour tasting bread made from a starter that includes a flour made from a grain called 'Teff' that is apparently a staple in Ethiopia, but a little harder to come by in the U.S. They eat everything with injera. It serves as your knife, fork, and spoon. Which, as my brothers commented, works out suprisingly well due to the spongey nature of the bread itself.



We did plenty of other things while the fam was here. Probably another post on that to come. However, I'd like to point out that as of my posting today, we've been waiting 6 months and 3 weeks. I am thinking that in the next couple of months we'll start looking into immunizations. I know that some of them require multiple shots over a period of a couple of weeks/months. I also plan to interview the pediatrician that we found who stated that their practice has worked with internationally adopted children in the past. So, even though I am cautious not to put to much stock in the now-12 month waiting period, I will admit that it is time to start making some preliminary preparations.
Posted by Picasa

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice redesign! I admit the pic of you and Justin at the top of the page scared me a little at first. =)

I've had Ethiopian food twice in Chicago. I never really developed a taste for the injera though.

--Jenn

Jessicca said...

Looks like your fam had a fun visit. There were several Ethiopian students at Fuller who liked to share their cuisine. I agree--tasty :)

Anonymous said...

yummy
*amy*

*K* said...

jenn-- don't be scared by our picture. that is our lovely sweaty faces while waiting for a subway! the injera does have an interesting taste. but... it doesn't taste like spaghetti, chicken, or turkey w/mayo on white bread, so i can see why you might not dig it :) (joke, joke) looking forward to seeing you guys soon.

Anonymous said...

Ethiopian food ROCKS! It was a great time with the fam and I loved every minute of it, well except for the ER thing. It does my heart good to be with JJ, Kat and the rest of the fam. Thanks punkin.....

Anonymous said...

Hey Kathryn!!


Its me your cousin Mackenzie.
This all sounds so excieting...
And yummy!

I miss you and cant wait to see you again.

Grandma Suzie is here this week.
She arrived Thursday.
She told me about this so I had to give it a look.
Im so excieted that your adopting and I wish you good luck!

I love the picture of Thomas and Ross.

They look so old!

lol.
well love you lots.
and miss you.

god bless,
Mackenzie.♥