For all of you who think I am giving my child a 'victim complex'

9:23 AM Edit This 2 Comments »
by talking about and thinking about race so much...

I read the PERFECT post about this over at Anti-Racist parent today. They use a perfect metaphor for all of my reasons for being intentional about teaching my child about race and racism.

PLEASE go read it. It is important. And... I would appreciate reactions!

So-- I know this is the second day in a row that I have just sent you somewhere else for content. But--really, I am working on this racial identity development paper and feel all content-ed out by the time I get around to blogs. Sorry and eventually I will get back in to more thoughtful posts. But, for now, I will just outsource :)

2 comments:

emily said...

Really interesting stuff...the school where I teach has been dealing with a lot of race issues this year, and how to have an open dialog with young children. I will have to share this website with the other teachers. I especially appreciated the idea that w/o talking about it, we are sending the message of "it's your problem to deal with on your own". What a good mommy you will be =)

Holly said...

YES! awesome post. I will probably have to crib a little of this idea and post something on our blog, too. It's so great how succinctly she put this! Thanks for sharing. It's been a few days since I had had a chance to get to that site.