IT'S OFFICIAL!!

7:38 PM Edit This 14 Comments »
We have a boy! Emmett Adugna Firew Burton. He is 2 1/2 months old, tiny, cute, beautiful.

Thursday (May 1st) I finished a big project at work, so they sent me home early. Justin and I were hanging out, as he just had a couple of hours until he had to leave for work at 5:15. About 4:25 p.m. I got an email from my advisor at school saying she had entered my final grade on my thesis--my final grade for the completion of my masters degree. Then... about 4:35, J's phone rang. He answered and said, "Hello.... Hello??" but the connection was bad, so he hung up and proceeded to turn off his phone. A few minutes before 5:00 p.m., right before he was going to leave for work... J checked email. "BIG NEWS" the subject line said. Apparently, the social worker had tried to call work only to find out I wasn't there, then called J's phone, only to be hung up on... SO--we frantically called her. And then we were parents. One phone call completely changed our entire lives. No baby. Then, baby. Baby boy. Baby B is a boy.

Saturday, we went to Montclair, NJ, where our agency's NJ office is, to meet with our social worker to go over the referral packet. This is what we looked like in the parking lot prior to going in:

(a little bit happy, a little bit nervous... :) )

After the meeting we forwarded all of Emmett Adu's info to Dr. Aronson, the 'orphan doctor', to review. This morning... at 1:00 a.m., she emailed back giving her assessment. Today we signed and notarized the placement agreement, and tomorrow we will Express Mail it to WHFC!

It looks like people are waiting between 8 and 10 weeks to travel to Ethiopia. Until then... we still wait... but, in a different way than before.

More later :)
Love,
K

14 comments:

Jennifer Hanson said...

Woo-hoo! Auntie Jenn and Uncle Ry Ry are so excited to meet this little guy. Congrats!

Hope said...

Yeah!!! So excited for you guys! I know your wait has been long- congrats!

QB said...

Yeah baby! I'm so happy for you guys. Yours is one of the first WHFC blogs I got obsessed with after I started officially waiting, 13+ months ago. So many of my feelings have shown up in your words and it just gives me hope that it could someday happen for me too. CONGRATULATIONS! I hope that your wait for travel flies by and you have a wonderful trip to Ethiopia.

Jessicca said...

I am so happy for you and J! Crazy to think we were getting our good news just a day apart. Do you have any pictures of the little Emmett? I can't imagine how excited you must be. Can't wait to hear more.

Marie said...

Congrats! I am so happy for you. And days before mother's day. Happy Mother's Day! Can't wait to see pictures of your sweet little boy.

Josh and Marcie said...

Yahoo!!!! I could not be more thrilled for you. It made me so excited and I can't wait to get to e-mail you good news about our little one. It would be so fun to find out close days together. I am looking forward to hearing more about Emmett. I do think that is a precious name!

amber said...

yay!!! this is wonderful news! congratulations. i cant wait to hear more. a very happy mother's day to you sweet kat. so happy for you both. much love.

Anonymous said...

hey it was me that posted above...for some reason it has my old spike name on there. looong story. :)

love amber

Holly said...

Congrats again! We wish you all of the wonderful happiness that has invaded our lives since that fateful phone call (and much more)!

Holly, Nick and MarMar

Lauren said...

Congratulations! We're so happy for you guys! Now I have to ask, how do you pronounce his name? I've got "Emmett" and "Burton" but the middle names I am not sure of, and don't want to say his name wrong! We can't wait to see some pictures!

madelynmom said...

WOOOOOOHOOOOOOO!! I have been going crazy the last few minutes... I saw your facebook status, but I couldn't get to the blog for details! I am in tears!!! I am so, so, so happy for you all. What an amazing, exciting time...and right before Mother's Day! Oh my goodness, I don't know what else to say other than I will continue to pray that everything continues to work out! Can't wait for more details!!!

Sallie said...

oh my word! oh my word! oh my word! that's all I can seem to muster! i am SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO happy for you guys! I just can't wait for you to get that sweet baby, Emmit, in your arms! Love you both...no...all THREE of you!
Happy MOTHER'S day!!!

Erik said...

WOW, congratulations! I have really enjoyed reading along your journey. You guys are going to be stellar parents :) Can't wait to see photos!

Love,
Sonya

Drew Custer said...

Happy Mother's Day! That is wonderful news. A boy! I can't wait to hear more and see some pictures.
Jamie