Wowee Zowee

3:41 PM Edit This 5 Comments »
Okay, so really... things have been going a mile-a-minute. This has become the most boring blog ever. I remember the days that I had time to contemplate big issues dealing with big life questions... race, adoption, spirituality, etc... Now, I am more likely to have the thought,"Geez, did I really forget to bring my lunch to work AGAIN today??"

Our flight information is the following:
Depart--Friday July 4th: EWR to D.C., D.C. to Addis (arrive Sat. July 6th)
Return--Friday July 11th: Addis to D.C., D.C to EWR (arrive Sat. July 12 at 2 p.m.)

We went with Ethiopian Air and booked through Susan Parr Travel. I highly recommend them. We called them Friday evening right after getting our travel info from WHFC and they not only answered the phone, but had quotes to us that same night. THEN, they followed up with another email OVER THE WEEKEND to let us know we'd made the flight we were wait-listed for. Awesome. I love it when people go the extra mile. The tickets ended up being around $2000 each with a $160 lap ticket for Emmett Adu on the way home. Our SUPER COOL parents bought the tickets!!! So blessed...

Next rock-my-world piece of news is that I sweet talked my department and HR rep into letting me exhaust my vacation days BEFORE I start Family Leave-- meaning I will get to be off for close to FOUR MONTHS. I mean, close to three months will be unpaid, but that's what I've been saving my pennies for all this time, right?

Tomorrow: Last vaccination visit
Monday: Mandatory call in meeting for Group 65


More to come.

5 comments:

Jennifer Hanson said...

Congrats on the 4 months off! I hope that means Emmett gets to come to Boston and see the Constitution sometime in the fall. =)

Carol said...

WOW! THat is awesome!!! I am so thrilled you will have extended time off! I am sure they will miss you at work but I am so glad they went the extra mile to work this out with you!!! AWESOME!!!

Ashley said...

I remember the days that I had time to contemplate big issues dealing with big life questions... race, adoption, spirituality, etc... Now, I am more likely to have the thought,"Geez, did I really forget to bring my lunch to work AGAIN today??"

sounds like you are officially a mom!! it's like bill cosby says, "...before we had children, we were intellectuals..." so, is there going to be a "sip and see" in s-town or anything?? if so, i am officially inviting myself, so let me know!! have you read TCC yet? if not, it would be great plane reading! congrats on the travel plans!
af

Holly said...

yay on getting the flight you wanted and DOUBLE YAY for getting to tack on your PTO to your leave...I was so mad that I couldn't do that (esp b/c that was my 5th year and I was given an extra week of vacation for my anniverary!) I mean, ok, it was an extra week of paid instead of unpaid but STILL. Lucky girl all around.
Box to be sent this weekend if I can get my $#!T together!!!

QB said...

Congratulations! I'm so happy that you get that time. You must be a valued employee - not surprising.