Let the Paper Begin!

2:48 PM Posted In , Edit This 4 Comments »


As many of you know, I am supposedly finishing up a masters program in December of this year. In order to graduate, I have to write a masters thesis and have chosen to write it on the development of racial identity in transracially adopted children.

Here are the questions I plan to address:
1. How do children develop a racial identity?
2. How is this different (or the same) for children who are adopted
transracially?
3. How have adoption laws affected the way we view racial identity
development in adopted children?
4. What can adoptive parents do to foster positive racial identity
development in their transracially adopted children?

What other questions might you guys have about this topic?
Any thoughts or things you have read that have influenced your thinking about race and/or identity?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Interesting thoughts. I wonder what the differences are in adoptive families whose adopted child is visibly
a different race (african, asian etc) opposed to adopted children who aren't as visibly from a different race like the Camps daughter (hispanic, eastern european etc...). I don't know if that makes any difference in your research but it probably makes a difference in some places and situations. You don't have to post this...I was just thinkin'.
In my opinion the first place a child learns ethnicity positively or negatively is from their parents and families. Redundant probably but true. I hope we gave you a positive view of all God's people. I hope......
love mom

*K* said...

yes, i was thinking that transracial would imply that the child looks different than the parents... but that is not always the case. good point. i have heard that white parents often prefer to adopt 'whiter' children which is why there have been more adoptions from asia and eastern europe than from africa. but, i haven't really looked into that so i don't know how true that really is.

Sammee said...

This sounds fascinating, Kathryn! I really hope you share it on the blog or else talk to me about it in person. I have similar questions because of our desire to adopt trans-racially.

Lindsey Eason said...

Hey Kat - sorry I've been MIA on your blog for a bit but I just got caught up on your previous posts and feel much more educated about the world of adoption. Thanks for taking the time to help us all have a better understanding. Your paper sounds like it's going to be very interesting!!