I have been very

3:24 PM Edit This 3 Comments »
GRATEFUL the past week or so that Baby B is not here yet. J and I returned from CA a little under the weather and have really benefitted from going to bed early and sleeping in. I currently have also been feeling a little overwhelmed. We seem to have different social situations booked through mid-MAY which always makes me a little crazy, plus... there's that paper that I am supposed to be writing.

Recent conversations, though, have really driven home the importence of THINKING about racial identity development in transracially adopted kids. I recognize that not all families have the flexibility to move to more racially diverse areas, attend racially diverse churches, or can drive their children to racially diverse schools. But, I remain pretty confident that if you are living in a racially and/or culturally homogeneous situation, you are really missing out and so are your children, transracially adopted or biological. In the end, it is not just what you, as a white ally, could do for a minority community in terms of advocacy, but what people that are different from you can teach you!

More later. Leaving work to go walk with a friend from 4:00 to 5:30, then 6-6:45 going to a (7 y/o) friend's school performance, 7:00 haircut, 8:00 HOME.

3 comments:

Josh and Marcie said...

I completely agree Kat! I feel like that is one thing my town is missing out on. There is definitely one side of the town 1 color and the other side a different color. It is very sad when we were made from the same source!

Carol said...

Gma CC would definitely be there to take care of the baby if you and JJ were under the weather! Of course it would be easier if you were a bit closer but none the less keep those frequent flyer miles flying. I totally agree with your thoughts of how we can all benefit and learn from one another. It is one of the things I enjoy about visiting you in NJ, all the cultures living together. God definitely had a wonderful plan when he made all people and gave each one attributes to make for a rich life for the whole. I just wish men could get beyond it and follow His plan. Wherever we are we need to be aware and watch for opportunities to enrich and engage with each other. Love you and hugs hugs hugs

Holly said...

I am so fully in agreement! I think living with people who all look like you is terribly BORING!