Winter Soup.

10:21 AM Edit This 5 Comments »
Yesterday I did a lot of cooking. And, I thought I would share with you my favorite winter soup recipe. I love it because it is flavorful, healthy, and quick--plus, it is very pretty when it is finished.

Favorite Lentil Soup:

1/2 bag of Red Lentils (red really are the best, but any kind can be substituted)
2 boxes of broth (veggie or chicken)
1 medium onion, chopped
2-3 T curry powder
1 fresh lemon, juiced (or lemon juice from the fridge)
1 1/2 c frozen veggies (I usually use green beans or peas... whatever happens to be in there.)
Olive oil

Sautee the onions in a couple tablespoons of olive oil until they are soft and translucent. (5 min)
Add as much curry powder as you can handle (at least a couple tablespoons). Stir so that the onions are covered with the curry powder and olive oil. (1-2 more minutes)
Add the veggie or chicken broth and the lentils. Cook for 15 minutes until the lentils are done. Add the frozen veggies (or fresh). Be checking for salt and pepper needs as different broths need different amounts added. After your veggies are heated through, add lemon juice to taste-- I usually use the whole lemon. AND ENJOY.

It makes a really pretty yellow colored soup with the fresh looking green veggies mixing around inside. It is great as a first course or with some crusty bread.

5 comments:

Jennifer Hanson said...

We ate a quick dinner at the New England Soup Factory last night and now we really want their cookbook. Soups are so great this time of year. I've been looking for the perfect chicken tortilla soup recipe for years.

Jessicca said...

Lentil soup is great, but I've never tried the red ones. Thanks for the recipe!

Holly said...

what, no split peas??? Love, Maren

QB said...

Thanks for the recipe. I love curry and can't wait to try it. Blogfriends are so useful!

QB said...

I just wanted to follow up and tell you that I made the soup (with the frozen peas & corn in my freezer)and it was DELICIOUS. My husband (who is isn't usually crazy about curry) loved it and then kept talking about it the next day. I plan to make it regularly now until we get sick of it. Thanks!