Personal Development

4:46 PM Edit This 8 Comments »
I am setting some 'personal development' goals. Otherwise known as... things to keep me busy while waiting.

1. Take 'personal training' classes at the Mac store to learn how to use iMovie and our .Mac site for bragging in style after Baby B arrives.

2. Clean out all the crap I have accumulated while writing my masters paper. I have basically had this AWESOME excuse not to do anything around the house for the past two semesters. But, alas... (most likely) I will be graduating in May and will thus lose my excuse for not keeping up with things around here.

3. Pick a color for Baby B's room and paint it. I am not saying that I am ready to put together a 'nursery' or anything. There will be no baby things put in the room until the referral, but... regardless of baby status, the room needs a paint job and now would be a good time to do it.

4. Sew the bag I have been meaning to sew. I think sewing is cool, but I pretty much suck at it. So, I purchased a cool book with cool patterns, one of which is a bag that I would love to carry around--hence, sewing is on the 'personal development' list.

5. Practice some Ethiopian cooking. My lofty dream is to waltz into our local Ethiopian restaurant (yes! we have one of those.) and ask if the chef would give me a couple of lessons. However, I have been keeping my eyes peeled for recipes that would be do-able on my own and have run across a couple that I am going to try.

6. Think about parenting some more. I think I am ready to move past thinking about race and racial identity for at least a few weeks and think about parenting strategies and whatnot. Yes, af, included in this is ordering the Continuum Concept among other books.

7. Get fit. I would like to tone up a bit so that my back won't go out of whack when I am suddenly carrying an infant around someday. I would like to start some good manageable habits in the physical fitness area. Losing a couple of pounds would be a bonus mostly so that I don't have to buy new summer clothes this year on my already shoestring budget.

I think that's enough for now. Any personal development goals you all are setting for yourselves this summer?
Me and Auntie Mimi in Brooklyn this past weekend.

**BTW... MY FINGERPRINTS WERE ACCEPTED!!! WOO HOO.

8 comments:

Diane Burton said...

I love your personal development list. I did some clean out myself on Saturday - you wouldn't believe how much stuff you can accumulate in a bathroom!!

For the physical fitness - spinning is great! It is a great cardio workout (I get my heart rate up to 160 most days), it also burns calories (YEAH!) and it really strengthens the legs. Then the weights are building strength in the arms - I want to be fit so I can also carry around my grand child - can't wait!

Love you,
G'ma Diane :)

Sallie said...

Hey Kat! LOVE your personal development list! I rarely think about this kind of thing past from January! You have inspired me!

For working out...I don't know how you feel about dance cardio...and I feel fairly like the informercial suggesting this...but Turbo Jam is great...You pretty much forget you're working out...'cuz it's to pretty good music and very dance oriented!

Can't wait 'til there are some pictures to post of this baby God is bringing to you!

Lauren said...

As far as #6 goes, I'd recommend the book "Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child." I know you're not sure what age Baby B will be when he/she arrives, but it will probably be a pretty good bed that Baby won't be on any sort of sleep schedule that works for you, and that book worked wonders with Rachel (we're hoping it works as well with #2) and covers all sorts of different ages, from infancy through toddler-dom.

Holly said...

yeah - glad the fingerprint thing went well - that's one piece of grief you don't need!
sorry i haven't called - keep forgetting until it's late at night. Just call me when you get a chance - even if it's during the workday :-)

*K* said...

yeah... fitness is about the priority i put it on the list. i will get around to it once i have reached a more boring level of boredom.

LT-that sounds like a great book. it is so hard to know what our kid will be like, as he or she will have probably had to do a lot of self-soothing and sleeping on his/her own at the orphanage. but--having a few sleeping tricks up our parenting sleeves is a great idea.

sal-i can't wait for a picture too!! you know i have terrible rhythm, right?? :)

hol-we need to chat. i will try to call tomorrow. i always think of calling too early...

emily said...

Have to agree about the sleep book. It is the only one that was recommended to us by our pediatrician and it has been super helpful.

Jennifer Hanson said...

When will you know if you are graduating this spring? Congrats on turning in your thesis!

Drew Custer said...

I like your list. I love the idea of asking that chef for cooking lessons and I would like to read some more parenting books myself.
Your earlier post about your mom was cool. My degree is in education and while I was at Harding I observed your mom for a couple days and got to witness firsthand how awesome she is with kids. I still remember and use some of the things she did with her students.
Jamie