PTI: Paper Turned In.

7:14 PM Edit This 8 Comments »
I turned in my final draft of my masters thesis today. If all goes well... I will graduate! I am feeling strangely anxious now that I have turned it in. This whole going to a big state school thing means that you are kind of on your own to get everything turned in (i's dotted, t's crossed) in order to graduate... so, I am mostly hoping that I haven't forgotten anything.

And--OF COURSE... my first free weekend without any paper stress hanging over me... J is going out of town. To Iowa. Conference/Paper Presentation. I opted out of traveling... to Iowa. Didn't think there would be much there for me to do while he was listening to papers on pop music.
Fun Fact: My friends are roasting a lamb in their yard this weekend... for Greek Orthodox Easter. Yes, just like in 'My Big Fat Greek Wedding.'

Adoption Update: No baby referrals this past week. Date is still holding strong in November. In other news, our CIS extension got SENT BACK to us... Come to find out it was just a clerical error and I will need to pay another $5 to priority mail it back to them. Geez... At least it isn't boring, right? I made a baby registry about a year ago... I revisited it this past week and now I am pretty sure that everything I registered for looks pretty boring. What would my mommy readers register for if they had it to do over again?

8 comments:

Unknown said...

Where did you register for a year ago? I'm not a new mommy, but the logical, boring person coming out of me is thinking a convertible crib-- you know one that goes from a crib, to a toddler bed to a full size bed....

Holly said...

CONGRATS on the paper being done!
the convertible crib is a good idea - it's what we have, and it helps justify the expense of the furniture, since it's going to be around for more than a couple of years. Same thing with the changing table - get something that's more than just the changing table.
I would suggest not getting a high chair, and just get something like the booster that we have for Maren. That was the best thing we ever got!

madelynmom said...

Woohoo!!! I remember the feeling when I turned in my paper for grad school (and you of all people know how terrible i was at writing papers). many congratulations to you! on to the baby...i ditto what has been said already..we got a convertible. ?: what is the approx. age range you might expect your baby to be when they join the fam?

QB said...

Congratulations! I hope you graduate. No kids here, so no suggestions on the registry. I like the no highchair idea though.

Lauren said...

It's hard since you don't know the age of the baby, but if you get an infant I would really suggest an infant carseat. You'd use the convertible when Baby gets bigger, but that infant seat really comes in handy when they're little and you want to put them in/take them out of the car without waking them.

Also, I didn't see a pack 'n play on your registry (assuming the Babies R Us one is the only one) and we used ours a ton - at first for her to sleep in our room when she was a newborn, and then as a portable crib when we traveled.

Again assuming you'll have an infant who will be taking bottles, a Boppy is a must-have (I honestly think it's my favorite baby invention). Along with several slipcovers.

There's been a whole big thing lately with BPA in plastics - including a lot of baby bottles, cups, etc. People feel all sorts of different ways about it, but if you decide it's important to you to use BPA-free products, you may want to research which brands are BPA-free and put those on your registry for bottles, sippy cups, etc.

I also didn't see a crib mattress on your registry? Or any bedding? Maybe I missed it.

Oh, also a good digital baby monitor (the analog ones have really annoying amounts of static). I like having two receivers - one for our room and one for downstairs - but you may be fine with just one.

That's all that's coming to mind right now - sorry if I said anything that is already on there!

Holly said...

to add my 2-cents (again!) :-)
I second the pack-and-play idea. See if you can get one used, tho - they are pretty pricey and a used one is just as good, if it's not all beat up. We travel with ours, used it in our room till we were ready to let maren be on her own in her room, and now it stays at the g-parents' so she has a napping place if we are there on weekends.
We have that red stroller - LOVE IT. I would also recommend registering for multiple changing pad covers and 2 crib mattress pads - so at least one can be in the wash and one on the bed. We just finally bought the second and i don't know why we took so long.

emily said...

D is just starting to feed himself...that being said, my current favorite baby item is a bib-outfit. I'm sure it has some official name, but I don't know it! It is a ginormous bib that goes over the lap and has flaps that cover the legs. Great for not having to wash the entire outfit after one meal =)

Jessicca said...

I don't have any great suggestions for baby-gear (just started thinking about it myself), but did want to pass on my well-wishes for graduation, etc. It's a big milestone, do something great to celebrate.