The Trip: Reflections

7:10 AM Edit This 3 Comments »
The kids were there as soon as we got off the bus. I thought we'd have a minute to prepare, drop our bags off at our room, check myself in the mirror... maybe brush my teeth before meeting my son for the first time. As families began getting off the bus, the kids started coming out. First was a couple from Binghamton, NY who'd waited 17 months for the referral of their 10 month old boy. Then, T, another 10 month old boy, was given to his new parents from Syracuse, NY. As I looked to my left, I saw a familiar tiny face in the far door. Could it be? Was it really happening? And that was the end. The moment I ceased to exist--breath gone, existence floating somewhere out of body. Our boy... two years in the making. A product of over five years of love and growth in my relationship with Justin coupled with a gut-wrenching decision on the part of a first mother who I'd not yet met. Plus, he is and was from that first moment (or before) absolutely perfect. Perfect little features, soft skin, precisely proportioned little body, even temperament, bright curious eyes. We held him, then he fell asleep.

Next day: First Family Visit
My feelings: detatched, eerily calm, curious
My perception of her feelings: relieved, sad, guarded, peaceful
Free Association: two translators (English to Amharic, then Amharic to Sidama), breezy, hug/cry, intimate, long but too short, overwhelming, want to know more
My feelings the next day: Need personal space to process but am not getting it.

Monday: Embassy Appointment
Everybody and their babies piled into the bus and we headed to the US Embassy for our appointments to get each child's visa. Thank god our paperwork had arrived. The interview was short: Is this the child you were referred? (Yes.) Have you met the birth family? (Yes.) Are you planning on supporting them financially? (No.) Congratulations. Monday night everyone had dinner out together at a traditional Ethiopian restaurant. After that: We took custody of the boy. Bottles every three hours. Tuesday morning bottle greeted me with this: projectile vomit.














Tuesday through Thursday:
Getting to know you, getting to know all about you...
Thursday: shopping at the market, oldest coffee shop in the world, mall-ish place


















Friday: Coffee ceremony
Time for the nannies to say goodbye to the babies. The aroma of coffee roasting (in the room), popcorn, and freshly baked bread. Older kids singing (really tough to see the waiting older kids who haven't been matched with families b/c no one is requesting their age range). And Emmett Adugna... well, he slept through it all.





Loading up the bus... getting on the plane... coming home...

3 comments:

Sallie said...

Oh, Kat! I cannot imagine the roller coaster of emotion you are feeling right now.

You and J and Emmett look perfect together...a PERFECT little family!
I am so happy for you, friend!

Holly said...

yay! loved the cliffs notes version -- can't wait for the director's cut :-)

madelynmom said...

amazing...i can't imagine catching a glimpse of the baby you've waited so long for. thank you agian for another good cry :)