Holding Strong.

10:12 AM Posted In , Edit This 3 Comments »


So, this weekend will be our 5 month waiting anniversary (6/16/07). Here is a little update. (Sorry this post is really nothing cool--no profound thoughts, no big updates. I guess this one is mostly for family or anyone bored enough at work to care to read!)

*Our social worker has assured us that even if we move (due to job opportunities) before the baby arrives, it will not affect our place on the waiting list. We will just have to complete more paperwork.

*Even though I have thought about it, I will not post monthly picutres of my belly. It is not growing (unless we eat a big meal).

*I had a few interesting conversations about the adoption at work this week. I am still working on responding to awkward questions about how much the adoption costs. (Yes, I am much more brave on the blogosphere.) I think pretty much everyone at work knows about the adoption now.

*I have been debating a 'pregnant on paper' or 'adopting' t-shirt. Some days I think they are pretty cool, some days I think they are pretty lame. Maybe if I could make one myself, it would look less lame than the ones I have found online. (The one you see to your right is an example of 'lame.' The one at the top of the post is not as lame, but I definitely wouldn't get it in pink.) What do you guys think?

*A 78 year old woman hit my car with her car (with me in it) at the grocery store parking lot yesterday. It made me feel flustered and anxious, but otherwise did not cause very much damage. She was a very lovely woman who even called me later in the day to see how I was doing. I might like to have coffee with her sometime... after the car gets fixed :)

*I have been thinking a lot about Brooke's journey lately. She is in Ethiopia now getting ready to bring home Sophia. I think they were supposed to have their Embassy appointment on Tuesday.

*There was this interesting article in the NYTimes a couple of days ago about Ethiopian adoptions. Check it out.

*My big project that I have been working on at work won 3rd place in our Performance Improvement Competition! It is pretty cool b/c my little project was competing against big projects run by people who have ph.d's and are doing big research studies.

*The latest news from our agency is that people who are currently getting referrals of infants have waited 12 months. Most likely the earliest we will get news of our baby will be Mid-January.

*We are watching Maren on Friday evening. It should be fun!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kathryn,
I am definitely getting the "my first passport" cover!!!
It is so cute. I like the adoption shirt idea and think that we can definitely create somthing together that would be awesome. I keep thinking of the framed pics you gave us for christmas and I think that would be cool on a t-shirt. I am so excited and happy and praying for my wonderful grandchild whenever he or she arrives. Makes me remember waiting for you as you held on tight for 21 days past the planned due date. I thought you would never come.... But you were well worth the wait, and "CD" will be too.
I read Brooke's blog today and just cried and cried- seeing their beautiful baby and how wonderfully she was being cared for. I know they are having a great time. It also made me decide that the trip to Ethiopia should be a trip for you and JJ to bond with baby burton and I probably will wait and be there when you get back to the states. It will be a great day! I can't wait to see you in August. Love you , Mom

holly said...

OK, laughing hard re: posting pictures of your stomach.

Diane Burton said...

Hi Kathryn,

I love reading your blog and thinking about my grandbaby. I, too, find myself looking at baby clothes, books, toys, etc. and am looking forward to the day when I will get to buy them. I personally think the "pink" t-shirt is perfect :) I'm also looking forward to taking my grandbaby for a ride in my pink car :) I didn't know your mom had to wait past the due date for you - I had to do the same with Justin. You, Justin and the baby continue to be in my prayers. Love you, Grandmama Diane