Preparing for take off.

9:34 AM Edit This 6 Comments »

WE FINALLY RECEIVED WORD THAT OUR I600A MADE IT TO ETHIOPIA!
So, that has totally made my Monday morning. A huge weight off my shoulders. Now, I can really just focus on getting ready to go without having to have that nagging feeling in the back of my mind that I may have to be in Ethiopia for several weeks waiting for U.S. government offices to communicate with each other (Aaargghh.)
Second on the 'interesting emails I received this morning' list is an email letting us know about the dates/times of our birth family visit. Right now it is scheduled for Sunday to Monday. (I am not sure how this will work b/c I thought our Embassy appointment was Monday afternoon... but whatever...) So, that 'Dear Birthmother' Letter needs to get a-rolling.
In the world of 'packing for an international flight where you'll have a baby on the return trip,' I am trying to pack everything for our family (of three :)) in carry-ons and all the donations in checked luggage. Maybe I am crazy, but the last minute travel backpack from Auntie Jenn just might make it all possible. We have two large large large suitcases filled with shoes, diapers, wipes, toothpaste, and toothbrushes to take to Horizon House. (Which means, we'll have two large large large suitcases to fill with goodies on the return trip...)
In closing: We had our medical update (that we received for the month of June) assessed by Dr. Aronson (as this is included in the initial fee we paid for her review of the referral information) and she said that, although Adu is not on the chart for weight and height, he does look like he is doing a good job at his job... growing! And, that his head circumference is on the chart at a whopping 3%. I had asked her whether or not we should schedule an appointment to see her when we return or if she thought our primary care physician could handle Emmett Adu's stuff. And, this was her reply... and THIS is why we'll pay the big bucks, schlep a baby into NYC, just to see her and get her feedback...
"I would definitely suggest that you see me for the initial evaluation. Being laid back is admirable, but the complexity of medical and developmental issues for kids adopted from Ethiopia requires a kind of vigilance that isn't consistent with being laid back. Your GP will live longer than I will, but we all make choices....I love my work and I am committed to a kind of service that I had a destiny for since I was very young. I am privileged to be able to specialize in the care of children adopted from abroad and I enjoy it because watching kids go from barely making it to thriving is a kick!"

6 comments:

Carol said...

OH MY GOODNESS!!! I can't stop crying and smiling at the same time!!! Thank you Lord!
Now pack, go get him and bring him home :)
Can you take a gramma as a carry on item?
Love and Hugs Gma CC

Holly said...

you can DEF pack all your own (and Emmett's) stuff in your carry on - you really need so little for yourself while you are there anyway!

And you will be SOOOO glad to have Dr A. check Emmett out when you get back. She's just sooo much more thorough. Just be prepared for her taking lots of blood from his neck! I promise, it's worse for you than him. Also, she goes REALLY fast so if you hear her say something you didn't catch or understand, be sure to ask RIGHT THEN. It's hard - she can be kindof intimidating!

Jennifer Hanson said...

I am so excited for you guys! So glad the visa forms arrived. I think I could fit in the backpack I sent you if you want me to go along. =)

Ashley said...

i can't believe he isn't even on the charts except for head size! poor little guy! he is going to catch up so fast, it will make your head spin. he is going to thrive as he is smothered in love! keep the blogs coming!

Jessicca said...

Looks like you've got it all together. I'll be thinking about you all as you travel and looking forward to the updates as always.

Diane Burton said...

I also cried when I read the e-mail from Justin about your trip and visiting the first mom. What an incredible experience ya'll will have. I am counting the days - can't wait to hold my grandson :)
Love you,
Grandma Diane