Ugh.

9:41 AM Edit This 8 Comments »
Em has decided to boycott sleep. The past *several* nights he has been waking up every couple of hours. He rolls to his stomach, outstretches his arms, and pops his head up looking around. He does not go back to sleep without help which usually entails one of us getting up to rock or cuddle him or getting him a bottle depending on how many hours it has been since he last ate, etc...

The reasons we've come up with for why this might be happening are the following:
* teething? yes, yes... my 10 month old still doesn't have any teeth so I'm not sure what 'teething' looks like for him as he's been chewing and drooling on things for the past four months.
* still off schedule from our onslaught of family members a week or so ago? (he does sleep best at night when he naps well during the day--it is all interconnected, right??)
* ready to transition down to one nap during the day? (this is hard to believe since he is still *tired* at 10 a.m. and 2 p.m. consistently.)
* the family bed co-sleeping thing doesn't work for him? maybe he's a light sleeper and would sleep more soundly if he weren't next to us. (also hard to believe b/c he was doing something similar although not as frequent when he was in the c.r.i.b.)

Thoughts?

8 comments:

Holly said...

how frustrating! I doubt it's the one-nap thing...he's way too young to be going down to 1 nap. Does he cry/cry out when he awakens? Maybe if you just ignore him, he'll go back to sleep on his own? I;m wondering if you are rewarding his wakefulness with attention, and if you didn't give him that, he'd start to give up on waking in the night? Just an idea...
Could be any of the things you mentioned, esp the teething and just getting back into routine stuff. We have been having bedtime/waking issues with Maren that are finally getting back to normal since the holidays are over.

Jennifer Hanson said...

He's looking for auntie Jenn. =)

Justin Burton said...

I have a theory.

He hates us. Just pure, unbridled hate. If he has to lose sleep to ensure that we don't sleep either, he's willing to make that sacrifice. Last night I caught him trying to pull a lamp over on top of all of us. And when I'm not looking, I'm pretty sure he farts on my pillow.

Carol said...

I think he is missing "Camp CC" !
I guess he had too much fun, sorry bout that.

Love gma CC

Unknown said...

Hey guys, (let me just say that this is my first post on a blog ever. really.) Just wanted to throw out the possibility of growing and maybe a hefty snack before bed might help...(not the kind that results in big poops in the night!) Good luck! I actually can smile wistfully at these stories now, since I'm not the one telling them. Just when you are probably at your wits end, he'll change habits, don't worry!

Diane Burton said...

He's also missing grandma Diane :) We went through this with Jennifer, but she was in her own crib - had to let her cry it out - one of the hardest things I ever did, but she finally realized I wasn't going to come running and pick her up every few minutes. As soon as I sat in a rocking chair and rocked, she would go to sleep. Then as soon as I laid her down, her head would pop up and the crying started. I was so exhausted after a week of this, I had to let her cry it out - not an easy thing to do and that may not be Emmett Adugna's problem. It may be that he needs his own space in his bed - getting crowded in bed with ya'll.
Love ya'll - love the videos - Ken & I really miss ya'll.

*K* said...

yeah... we don't really do cry it out. the past several nights have been better. a little gum numbing goes a long way!

we have also just been going straight to giving him a small bottle when he wakes. (we were cuddling him and he'd go back to sleep pretty quickly.) i think that the start of all this movement for him ALL DAY LONG may make it so he needs a little snack in the night.

Carol said...

He is a mover and a groover! WOW He is on the run... run on lil' man, run on! We'll slip you a snack :) luv you gma cc